The Financial Vulnerability Index (FVI) helps government, social services and private industry sectors to understand the populations most at risk financially during the COVID-19 pandemic. The FVI helps identify which Canadians are most likely to have difficulty meeting financial obligations like housing, necessities and manage their debt after a sudden loss of income. Understanding the kinds of populations most likely to be in trouble at a local level allows financial service providers, retailers, utilities and governments to respond with more effectively designed initiatives tailored to meet these populations’ needs.The FVI looks at a range of household financial indicators, including savings and liquid assets, levels of debt, discretionary income and the ratio of debt to discretionary income to score how precarious a typical household’s finances are at the neighbourhood level. The FVI is calculated by weighting variables across multiple Environics Analytics databases, including WealthScapes, HouseholdSpend and Liquid Assets.
Identify households most vulnerable to financial instability
Rank your customers' financial health to understand how best to support them
Design initiatives to meet the specific needs of those who are most vulnerable
Answer common questions like:
• Which neighbourhoods are the most financially vulnerable?
• How many households in my jurisdiction will likely need support? How can we rank them based on need?
• Where can we allocate our resources for minimum investment and maximum impact?
• Which segments are likely to fall behind on their payments? What is the best way to reach out and support them?
• Financial services and retailers can ensure they are providing supports and products that consider a changing affordability landscape
• Public sector and community-based organizations can provide support in a targeted way, reducing unnecessary spending and focusing subsidies to those who need them most
• Retailers can rethink product support based on their local communities’ financial profiles
• Utilities, telcos and other service providers can map those most likely to need more time to pay their bills
Find more information about the Financial Vulnerability Index including metadata and release notes on our community website
Enhance your understanding of the financial behaviour of Canadians and develop a comprehensive picture of their assets, liabilities and net worth.